Monday, December 12, 2011

The second – Eagle Rare 10 year-old


The second – Eagle Rare 10 year-old distilled by Buffalo Trace in Frankfort, KY


From the Marketer: "Eagle Rare Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey is masterfully crafted and carefully aged for no less than ten years, each barrel is discriminately selected. The rareness of this great breed of bourbon is evident in its complex aroma, as well as the smooth and lingering taste. Each bottle of Eagle Rare offers consistent flavors, but with a seemingly individual personality from each unique barrel. Eagle Rare is a bourbon that lives up to its name with its lofty, distinctive taste experience."

I sipped on my Eagle Rare at Dudley’s in Lexington, KY and while it’s a great place (if there you must try the fried peach pie dessert) the surroundings couldn’t bring me to agree with Buffalo Trace’s claims regarding Eagle Rare, “complex aroma” excepted.  I found Eagle Rare to be a bit harsh with the very nice flavor quickly turning to alcohol burn, so quick in fact I’m not sure if it was a good taste or just smell.  While only 90 proof it felt like much more, in fact it lead to a discussion with the bartender about the alcohol content and we verified, yep only 90 proof.  When I was critical of Eagle Rare he mentioned that he’s had the same feedback from most folks in the bar and many of his friends, with one exception that the bartender stated claims Eagle Rare is “the best”.  Perhaps his friend has a sophisticated palate or is just highly susceptible to spirits awards, as Eagle Rare has won its share.  For me it’s only been awarded “most disappointing.”  It took me quite a while to get through this one and I did not order another nor will for a long time, I’ve at least 51 others to try first. 

Ratings list (n=2) 1-Angels Envy 2-Eagle Rare 

No comments:

Post a Comment