Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Third - Knob Creek


The Third – Knob Creek, Distilled by Knob Creek Distillery Co., Clermont, KY (Jim Beam Family)


From the Marketer: Handcrafted in limited quantities, Knob Creek® is aged nine years to fully draw out the natural sugars in its charred white oak barrels. As a result, this exceptional, full-bodied bourbon strikes the senses with a maple sugar aroma, distinctive sweetness and rich, woody, caramel flavor with a long, smooth finish. Made at 100 proof and created to reflect the flavor, strength, care and patience that defined pre-prohibition whiskey, Knob Creek® is perfect straight or cooled slightly with one or two ice cubes.

Knob Creek, along with Makers Mark, used to be my bourbon of choice, but somehow while Maker’s remains in my bar, I haven’t purchased a bottle of KC in quite a while.  I revisited Knob Creek at Capitol Grill in Chicago, IL and while KC wasn’t bad I didn’t order a second and don’t see any reason to add it to my bar (the Kona coffee rubbed bone-in sirloin that followed my KC was fantastic). Knob Creek holds true to what the makers claim, in that it “strikes the senses”, being a bit harsh but it has a nice full bourbon flavor.  It’s not as refined or smooth a taste as I’ve come to appreciate in other bourbons and while I thought perhaps it was a supply issue, it’s readily apparent the taste is why Maker’s won the battle between my former “go-to” bourbons. 

You can do much worse than Knob Creek but alas you can do much better as well.  I have to give KC credit (or blame) for getting me started with better bourbons but it’s like the high-school girl you thought was so great before getting to college and experiencing the wealth of beauty available.  The journey continues, with bourbons not ladies as I out-kicked my coverage and am happily married to a lovely wife, and Merry Christmas to all!

Ratings list (n=3) 1-Angel’s Envy 2-Knob Creek 3-Eagle Rare  

No comments:

Post a Comment